Security devices and their impact on Caravan Insurance
It is recommended that security devices are fitted to your caravan to protect it from theft and break-ins. It is understandable that you will want to look after your caravan but also look after your pennies, so this article will show you how investing in safety devices will have a positive impact on your insurance premium, saving you money year on year.
There are lots of different caravan security devices on the market which will reduce your insurance premium accordingly.
Security locks and clamps
Security devices such as locks and clamps help to protect your caravan from being stolen or broken into when it’s stationary; whether at home or while on holiday.
Wheel locks and clamps are ideal for wherever your caravan is parked, and prevent thieves from being able to tow it away easily. As they are visible, wheel locks and clamps also act as a deterrent, helping to discourage thieves from tampering with your caravan.
- Hitch locks are used to cover the towing hitch assembly fixing bolts, preventing anyone from connecting the caravan to another vehicle in a bid to tow it away without your consent.
- Ground anchors are used to fix your caravan to the floor, and are highly recommended for occasions where you need to leave your caravan at home on your drive or in the garage while away.
- Security posts are also mainly for use at home or where you store your caravan. Cemented into the ground, security posts can be locked into the upright position to prevent your caravan being moved against your will.
Insurance benefits: Insurance companies value extra security implemented by caravan owners and therefore reward this with policy discounts. As an example, Club Care Insurance offers 20% off your policy if you use an approved wheel lock while your caravan is parked at home or on holiday.
Alarms and immobilisers
Alarms and immobilisers are used to stop thieves getting any further if they have managed to break into your caravan. By making these devices visible, or placing stickers in your windows to notify thieves of their presence, you may deter them and prevent your caravan from being tampered with.
- Caravan alarms are activated when an intruder is detected inside the vehicle, just as your home or car alarm would. As above, a visible alarm can act to deter thieves, and once an alarm has been activated the loud noise is likely to attract attention, and therefore hinder the theft.
- A caravan immobiliser is used to bolt the wheels to axle, preventing the caravan from being driven without first unlocking it. This method protects your caravan from theft but will not protect your contents, so it is advisable to use it alongside other security devices.
Insurance benefits: Club Care offers a 5% policy discount for caravans equipped with factory-fitted alarms.
By installing a tracking device to your caravan, you will have a much higher chance of recovering your caravan if it is stolen and the device will drastically speed up the search for your vehicle.
Tracking devices need to be discretely hidden and there should not be any visible notification that there is a tracking device fitted.
Insurance benefits: Club Care offers up to 25% discount for fitting recommended tracking devices.
Our advice: Look out for Sold Secure
Once you have decided on which security devices are right for you and are looking to make your purchase, be sure to look out for the Sold Secure endorsement. Sold Secure is the premier testing and certification house for security products like those mentioned above, and rates items in four main categories; Bronze, Silver, Gold and Diamond. In buying a product approved by Sold Secure you can be confident that you have bought a high quality product thanks to the rigorous testing that the product has undergone.
Club Care offers a number of reductions to its policies in addition to these security discounts, you can read more about the discounts available on our website.