Momentous milestone for The Camping and Caravanning Club
The Camping and Caravanning Club has cause for celebration after reaching an historic milestone.
A considerable upturn in interest in both camping and caravanning has been reflected in The Club’s impressive advanced booking and occupancy figures, meaning that 2009 could prove to be one of the organisation’s best year’s on record.
And today The Club confirmed that it had reached – ahead of forecast – a landmark membership figure of 250,570 households (477,000 actual members).
And the good news does not end there with The Friendly Club having recruited more families than ever before (25,629), accounting for over half of all new joiners so far in 2009.
The Club has also, as at the end of July, recruited more tent owners than during the whole of 2008 with two out of five new members having young children (average age of eight-years-old).
Director General Robert Louden said: "We are continuing to grow rapidly as a family, friendly organisation and to have reached this momentous milestone ahead of schedule is testament to the hard work undertaken by everyone connected with The Club."
"Interest in all forms of camping has reached unprecedented levels this year due to the tough economic climate we currently find ourselves in and our membership has benefited as a result."
"And despite the indifferent weather of late, our 109 Club Sites have been full to brimming and that is very pleasing to see."
Louden added: "As a Club, we simply want to help people enjoy the adventure and make the most of the outdoors."
During Easter, The Club saw an incredible 50 per cent rise in occupancy rates on its UK Club Sites whist the launch of its New to Camping campaign in May helped The Club reach its highest overall unique visitors figure for a month of over 201,000, exceeding the previous record of 200,000 in July 2008.
Three out of five new members have this year joined via the Internet.
- Ends -
For further media information or pictures please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 108-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and six Cabin Sites.
- New to Camping was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- Which Motorcaravan Site of the Year Runner-Up – Little Trethvas Farm CS
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (Scotland) – Lauder Club Site
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (north-east) – Bellingham Club Site
- MMM 2009 Camping & Caravanning Site of the Year – Thetford Forest Club Site
- Caravan Magazine Wow Factor Award 2008 – Milarrochy Bay Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2008, Delamont Country Park Club Site – Winner Holiday Parks category in Northern Ireland
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2008 Gold Award – Charmouth, Glencoe and Trewan Hall Club Sites
- The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree Travel Service
- Which Motorcaravan Site of the Year Runner-Up 2008 – Windermere Club Site