Forestry Commission's Forest Xplorer app comes to Android
Forestry Commission England’s free app, Forest Xplorer, has just got even better. Not only is the ultimate guide to the forest now available on android phones, but it has an easy event finder so you always know what’s happening in your local woodland.
Visitors will be able to find their local Forestry Commission forest park, search for what events are taking place across the country and download handy trail maps so that you can easily find your way around the forest.
Want to stay in the forest a bit longer? Also new for 2012, you can now get back to nature with Camping in the Forest sites or, if you would prefer a bit of luxury, find Forest Holidays cabins on the app too.
And don’t forget about the award-winning handy tree identifier! The educational and fun app includes a photo gallery, UK common tree identifier and unique 3D tree illustrations. Users can identify a tree using its bark, seed or leaf within just a few clicks.
Pam Warhurst, Forestry Commission Chair, said: “Forest Xplorer is an absolutely fantastic app which can not only help you find out information about your local Forestry Commission Forest Park but also helps you learn more about the trees around you.
"We have been so pleased with the success of the app and since its launch on iPhone last year, it has been rated as one of the top 500 apps in The Sunday Times!”
Spencer Pettit, Camping in the Forest’s Business Development Manager, said: “Our 20 Camping in the Forest Sites are located on Forestry Commission land in idyllic locations across the country and we’re delighted for them to be featured in the Forest Xplorer app.
"We look forward to continuing to work with the Forestry Commission to help promote and care for our country’s woodlands.”
Forest Xplorer features:
- Find your nearest forest by current location or by activity
- Information on Forestry Commission England Forest Parks
- *NEW* Find Forest Holiday sites (luxury cabins in the heart of the forest)
- *NEW* Find Camping in the Forest sites (get back to your roots and camp in the woods)
- *NEW* event finder. Find hundreds of events across England
- Picture Gallery
- Directions, facilities and things to do
- Downloadable PDF trail maps
- UK common tree identifier
Forest Xplorer is available on iPhone and Android devices, and can be downloaded from the iTunes store and the Android Market Place. Find out more and download it for free at www.forestry.gov.uk/mobileapp
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
Notes to Editors:
- The Forestry Commission is the government department responsible in England for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woods and forests and increasing their value to society and the environment. Forestry makes a real contribution to sustainable development, providing social and environmental benefits arising from planting and managing attractive, as well as productive, woodlands.
- Forest Xplorer has information about the top 37 Forestry Commission sites across England.
- Forest Holidays owns and operates six luxury Cabin sites in stunning forest locations across England, Scotland and Wales, operating entirely within the Forestry Commission estate. Our Cabin holidays are self catering, with a range of Cabins suitable for couples, families and groups of friends.
- Camping in the Forest offers naturally inspired short breaks and holidays set amongst the woodlands of the Forestry Commission and is managed under agreement by The Camping and Caravanning Club.
- The Camping and Caravanning Club took over the management of all Camping in the Forest Sites from November 1, 2010.
- There are 20 award-winning Camping in the Forest Sites across the UK: Ardgartan, Cashel, Cobleland, Bracelands, Christchurch, Aldridge Hill, Ashurst, Denny Wood, Matley Wood, Hollands Wood, Holmsley, Ocknell, Longbeech, Roundhill, Setthorns, Beddgelert, Spiers House, Thorpe, Postern Hill.