Flip Flop Pop Fish and Campers' Coleslaw
Flip Flop Pop Fish and Campers' Coleslaw Ingredients
- 4 skinless fish fillets - use a white firm flaky fleshed fish like pouting, whiting or sustainably caught cod or pollack
- A bag of plain flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- Olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large handfuls of Rice Krispies or bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ red cabbage, ½ white cabbage, ½ red onion, 3 carrots
- 4 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
This is such a super simple recipe for cooking fish when camping.
As an island nation we have access to a fabulous range of fresh fish and seafood in this country, but many of us are put off cooking with it as we lack confidence in how to prepare it.
Fish is so simple and quick to cook on a barbecue or in a pan, so ask the fishmonger to deal with the bones, scales, teeth or shells and prepare it for you, they can also give you details on which fish are sustainable and in season. The Marine Conservation Society also has a great website giving guidelines as to what is in season and what stock levels are like.
This is a very child friendly fish recipe. In fact it was my five year old that suggested the rice krispie coating. It works brilliantly, providing a crunchy coating. You can get as creative as you like with the coatings... try rolled oats, even Cornflakes.
The coleslaw is also quick and easy, yet tasty and super cheap.
- Sprinkle the plain flour all over a large plate and add paprika, grated lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Crush the rice krispies in a freezer bag and pour onto a separate plate. Or spread the breadcrumbs on the plate if using these instead.
- Beat egg in a bowl.
- Heat up a slug of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Flip the fish fillet over in the flour.
- Flop it in the egg.
- Flip back in the flour.
- Pop into the rice krispies/bread crumbs making sure the fish fillet is well coated. Put in the pan.
- Fry Fish for about 4 minutes on each side. Resist temptation to push it about with the spatula as it might disintegrate.
While it is cooking make the coleslaw.
- Slice the cabbage and red onion as thinly as possible. Put in large bowl.
- Grate the carrots into the bowl.
- Add natural yoghurt and mustard and mix well.
- Check the fish is cooked.
- Put fish fillets and a heap of coleslaw in a soft bread bun. Enjoy!