Barbecued Summer Vegetables with Crumbly Cheese
Barbecued Summer Vegetables with Crumbly Cheese Ingredients
- 2 courgettes, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 aubergine, halved and sliced lengthways
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into 6, lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red onions, each cut into 6
- Handful of chopped, fresh herbs; mint, basil and parsley
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon juice
- 150g (or as much as you like!) of a crumbly white British cheese like Cheshire, or a hard goats cheese.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: Depends on vegetables used
Vegetables griddled on the hot plate or barbecue grill release their natural sugars which caramelise beautifully over the heat. This warm super-salad is filling enough as a main meal, served some fresh bread to mop up the juices.
- Cut, slice, chop courgettes, aubergine, peppers, garlic, onions, herbs as above.
- Brush your barbecue with a small amount of oil and pre-heat. Don’t put any on your veg.
- Place on the medium heat barbecue and cook until coloured on both sides. You have to keep watching, so that they aren’t burning, and different veg will take varying amount of time to cook.
- Very roughly they should be cooked in 10-15 minutes.
- While that is happening, in a large serving dish, whisk up 4 tablespoons of good olive oil to 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, the garlic and the herbs and a squidge of lemon juice.
- When the vegetables are cooked, transfer them to the dish and toss gently in the dressing.
- Crumble the cheese over the top and serve.