In our study, 93% of campers said camping can make you happier.
Not surprising then that we are seeing more and more campaigns urging us to get off the sofa and get outdoors.
There’s growing evidence that simply spending time outdoors surrounded by nature is linked to improved psychological wellbeing. But we have a theory that the beneficial effects of camping go deeper than if we just go for a walk, a bike ride or a day trip.
In fact, our research suggests that something more transformational happens when we camp. Something that results in the list below.
So where does this richness come from?
According to Dr Kaye Richards, from Liverpool John Moores University, it is this:
Camping allows us to get away from the routines – and relative comforts – of our daily lives. And even though camping and caravanning today is a much more comfortable experience thanks to modern equipment and facilities, the simple fact that we have taken ourselves out of our normal environment and into a different one, surrounded by nature, means we act, think and even communicate differently with each other.
The Top Five statements that campers agree with:
- Camping generates happy memories
- Camping recharges your batteries
- Camping makes you appreciate nature more
- Camping expands your horizons
- Camping is fun for all the family
So are those who camp richer for it?
We asked 1,000 adults who camp regularly and 1,000 people who have never camped how they feel on an average day:
Camping’s list of proven riches:
A review of over 60 academic studies looking into the benefits of camping, supplemented with our own research, shows that camping has a wealth of riches to offer:
- It promotes family cohesion, satisfaction, togetherness and fulfillment
- It encourages rest, relaxation and restoration
- It facilitates children’s learning and has a positive effect on behaviour
- It improves social interaction
- It makes us feel better – mentally and physically
- It creates memories, traditions and special places that stay with you for life
- It really does make us happier!
"Wake up in a tent or caravan with the wrap-around freedom of the great outdoors. Discover what makes the great outdoors tick in harmony with all that you have dreamed of."
- David Bellamy, Club President and Environmental Campaigner
"Without our camping trips our life would be without all those wonderful moments; that first brew in the fresh morning air, the wild and windy beach walks and the sunsets shared with fellow campers… sheer bliss."
- Sally Papworth, Club Member No.245