National Trust: Attingham Park Estate - Town Walls Tower
When: 01 Jan - 31 Dec 2014
Opening hours: 2:30pm-2:30pm
Website: Visit website
The Town Walls Tower is the very last remaining medieval watchtower surviving on what were once the medieval fortified, defensive walls of Shrewsbury. The tower dates from the 14th century, a time when the town was subject to attacks from the Welsh and like Shrewsbury Castle the tower was a means of observing the land around the town and the River Severn. Once it ceased to have a defensive purpose, Town Walls Tower was leased out to local townsmen. In an 1809 engraving, Town Walls Tower appears to be derelict, but it was the workshop of a watch-maker, John Massey, in 1816. It was converted into a coachman's dwelling in the 1860s and was acquired by the National Trust acquired it in 1930.
Town Walls Tower
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1 1TN
Event details can change.
Please check with the organisers that the event is happening before making travel arrangements.