Boroughbridge Local information
Local tourist information
- Walkers can enjoy numerous walks within the area with many trails starting on site.
- The market town of Boroughbridge is a short walk from site. Its main street has fine buildings from its time as a coaching stop. It also has a supermarket, specialist shops and several places to eat out.
- Ripon – the Cathedral City of the Dales – is six miles away.
- Harrogate is accessible by bus from outside the site. Predominantly Georgian in architecture, it is known as England’s floral town.
- Newby Hall is one of England’s finest Adam Houses. It has an Adventure Garden for children.
- Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden form a World Heritage Site with many historic buildings.
- Knaresborough – south of Boroughbridge – has a castle. The town is on a crag-top on a gorge of the River Nidd.
- The Ryedale Folk Museum includes an 1850s fire engine and an Edwardian photographic studio.
- Isirium is a Roman town at Aldborough. See the remains of the Roman walls and the fine mosaic floors of a villa.
- The Roecliffe Ramble is a circular walk on the banks of the River Ure, passing locks and Newby Hall.
- Lightwater Valley has a theme park, shopping village and Bird of Prey Centre all on one site.
- Fishing is permitted from the site – in season. Catch roach, perch, dace, pike, chub or even trout or grayling.
Nearest train station: Knaresborough 9 miles
Nearest bus: From site entrance