Local information about Lauder
Lauder Local Information
Local tourist information
- The town of Lauder is four miles away. It offers a blend of history, scenery and sightseeing. The Common Riding Festival is held at the end of July.
- Walkers can enjoy the Southern Upland Way, passing near the Site, and the Lammermuir Hills.
- Thirlestane Castle is one of the seven great houses of Scotland and hosts a motoring extravaganza in June.
- Archaeological excavations at the Augustinian hospital at Soutra Aisle have found traces of medicinal products from all over the world.
- Scottish capital Edinburgh is a bus ride away. Visit the castle and see the medieval buildings along the Royal Mile or enjoy the Tattoo, Festival and Fringe Festivals in the summer.
- Edinburgh Zoo is the only zoo in the country with koala bears.
- Edinburgh’s heart is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and features a medieval Old Town and Georgian New Town.
- Sunday markets are held at Kelso and Haddington.
- Take the bus to Jedburgh and Melrose, where you can visit its famous Abbeys.
- Kelso and Dryburgh also have abbeys which are worth a visit.
- The hotel next to the Site serves good food – including breakfasts.
- The village of Oxton is just over a mile from Site.
Nearest train station: Edinburgh - 22 miles
Nearest bus: From the site entrance frequent service to Edinburgh and Jedburgh.