Moroccan Magic Escorted Tour
24 day escorted tour of Morocco
From £2500 Motorhome + 2 people
From £2540 Caravan + 2 people
Your Club leader Ray Monteith-Smith
Your Club tour escorts Andrew and Shirley Pilbro
From ancient ruins of Imperial cities and the smell of sun-baked sand to busy modern towns and bustling souks scented in spice and endless promises. Highlights include:
22 nights accommodation at handpicked Moroccan campsites.
Beautiful mountain city of Chefchaouen and overnight stay in the Rif Mountains.
Guided tour of the Roman Ruins at UNESCO World Heritage site in Volubilis.
Souks and markets in the Imperial city of Fez.
Meet up with your fellow adventurers and get to know your Tour Leader and crew.
1 night in Algeciras, Spain.
An early drive to Algeciras ferry port before the crossing to Ceuta, entry point to North Africa. Your tour leader will take care of all documents needed to pass through the border control.
1 night campsite at Martil.
Days 3 - 4
Stunning drives over the Rif mountains staying in campsites at Chefchaouen and amongst the Eucalyptus trees at Moulay-Idriss.
2 nights campsite at Chefchaouen.
Days 5 - 7
A guided tour of the Roman ruins at nearby Volubilis before spending two nights in Fez. There will also be a night in the Great Cedar Forest south of Azrou.
2 nights campsite at Fez, 1 night informal camping.
Days 8 - 11
Drive to Meski, for a two-night stay in an oasis location on the very edge of the Sahara, served with traditional meals and entertainment.
1 night campsite at site of former political prison, 1 night informal camping, 2 nights campsite at Meski.
Days 12 - 14
Drive to Erg Chebbi, the Sahara desert location for three nights amongst the dunes.
3 nights campsite at Erg Chebbi.
Days 15 - 16
Two nights at Tinerhir campsite with a visit to the stunning Todra Gorge.
2 nights campsite at Tinehir.
Drive to Ouarzazate and visit a featured kasbah, market and dine at some authentic eating houses in the area.
1 night at Ouarzazate campsite.
Days 18 - 20
Cross the High Atlas mountains via the winding and very spectacular Tizi-n-Tichka pass. Three nights (two full days) at a campsite six miles from Marrakech allow plenty of time to explore this wonderful city.
3 nights at Casablanca campsite.
Days 21 - 23
Drive to the magical Atlantic town of Essaouira for a three-night stay. There is a fabulous beach plus a fishing and shipbuilding harbour. Farewell dinner at a Riad-style restaurant.
3 nights at Essaouira campsite.
Your tour finishes here. Options include extending your stay in Morocco or making the journey back to Ceuta. Please note that general travel costs are at your own expense. Some members may plan for an extended stay in Morocco, while others may wish to remain at Essaouira a little while longer. You could of course continue your homeward journey with the Tour Leader and support vehicle, which would necessitate an early start for the long, slow drive back up the coast. Most members will probably prefer to make their own way back, either alone or with other members of the tour or the Tour Escorts. Any and all options and needs can be discussed fully and individually with the Tour Leader.
- Algeciras-Ceuta open return ferry crossing (valid for 3 months).
- Sightseeing programme and entrance fees as detailed in the itinerary.
- Tour pitch fees with hook up (where available).
- Services of tour leader, tour crew, support vehicle and Carefree tour escorts.
- Several lunches and dinners.
- Travel pack with map of Morocco, pennon, name badges, itinerary and information.
- Daily Road Book Guide and Moroccan currency (both loaned and must be returned)
What’s not included
- Ferry crossings from the UK
- Personal expenditure - fuel, food, tolls, tips or personal excursions.
- Optional extras at some locations.
- Personal Insurance (which is compulsory) and Vehicle Breakdown Insurance must be taken out prior to leaving the UK. See Carefree 2013 Summer Brochure for details. You must have a Green Card to drive your vehicle in Morocco, this is proof that the minimum third party liability cover required by law is in force. Please contact your vehicle insurer to arrange this.
The drive along the Atlantic Coast and back to Ceuta is mainly motorway (465 miles). The preferred route is the road to El Jadida and the Atlantic Motorway via Casablanca, Rabat and Larache. Any overnight stop is unscheduled and at your own expense and will depend on your own preferred progress, but could be around the Moulay Bouselham area.
There is a maximum unit length of 8 metres on this tour.
Preparing to go
Your vehicle should be fully serviced (essential for breakdown insurance cover) – ask your service agent if different filters etc. are needed for desert use.
- It is VITAL that you have all your original vehicle documents with you for processing in Morocco. Vehicle insurance (Green Card) must show “Morocco” or “MA” and that you are covered. UK Driving Licences are accepted and your passport should have at least six months left to run before the actual expiry date.
- The paperwork needed to travel is quite extensive, but is dealt with by your Tour Leaders.
- It is not possible to purchase dirham (Moroccan currency) prior to arrival in Morocco. ATMs are available throughout Morocco.
- Please note that pets are not allowed on this Escorted Tour.
As well as your Club Tour Escorts, the Morocco tour has a Tour Leader, Ray Monteith-Smith. Ray and his full-time support team are very experienced in leading caravan and motorhome tours in Morocco.
The itinerary needs to be flexible. It is subject to change to take into account likely additions to the itinerary, local weather, road conditions or other circumstances. The itinerary should be taken as a guide rather than a daily schedule.
If you have been on previous Carefree escorted tours, you’ll find this one different. Morocco is a fascinating place to discover and with the experience of our Tour Leader you will visit places that you wouldn’t normally find if going on your own. On this tour you will stay at a variety of places, which range from full facility campsites, simple informal sites with or without hook-ups or washblocks, to the parking area of a hotel. Campsites are basic by European standards and you may prefer to use your own on-board facilities, rather than those provided on the campsites.
’People going on this tour need to appreciate that much of Morocco still rates as a third world country and not be put off by poor campsites. It is also necessary to have an open mind with regard to the itinerary, which may not turn out quite as specified in The Camping and Caravanning Club literature. Tour Leader was very experienced and knowledgeable about Morocco and inspired confidence to deal with any emergencies.’
Richard and Sheila Jones, West Sussex
’It was a fantastic tour which was not to be missed. Ray is an excellent tour leader, he really knows his stuff!’
Brian and Chris Pearson, Bournemouth
If you’re planning to take part in our tour of Morocco and apply for a Carefree Motoring Supercover policy*, you can apply for a free endorsement that will extend your policy to cover Morocco provided your vehicle is under ten years old. The endorsement is only valid on tours which have been organised through The Camping and Caravanning Club and cannot be used to cover private trips to Morocco. Although an endorsement is required for vehicle breakdown cover in Morocco, please be advised that Carefree’s Personal Travel insurance automatically includes assistance in Morocco. For more information and to purchase insurance please call Carefree on 0845 130 7701.
The cover provided for Morocco differs from that of Europe, but still offers the following benefits:
- If your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident within seven days of your planned departure date, providing you purchased your cover at least 10 days prior to your planned departure, Aria Assistance will pay up to £750 in total towards the additional cost of rebooking any sea crossing missed as a result of an insured incident and if your vehicle is useable within 24 hours after your planned departure time.
- Up to £250 roadside assistance.
- Repatriation up to the market value of the vehicle.
- Replacement driver, if the only driver becomes ill and is unable to drive your vehicle home.
Please note that certain restrictions apply because of difference in network coverage provided by garages and repairers in the area. As network coverage is less comprehensive than in Europe, assistance could take longer to reach you and roadside assistance and/or repairs could be limited. Many UK and Spanish hire car companies will not allow customers to take vehicles to Morocco and as such no cover is provided under their hire policy for such a situation.
*Please see Carefree 2013 Summer Brochure for further details of Carefree’s motoring and personal travel insurance.
To book your escorted tour, call us on 0845 130 7701 or 024 7642 2024 quoting your membership number.
Tour Gallery - 7 photos
Morocco The seafront at Essaouira (©_Bob_and_Sue_Moore)
Morocco The blue walls of Chefchaouen
Morocco Ruins at Volubilis
Morocco Club members relaxing in the Sahara (© Bob-and_Sue_Moore)
Morocco An evening briefing with the tour leader
Morocco En route in Morocco (© Bob_and_Sue_Moore)
Morocco Camel near the overnight camp in Erg Chebbi (© Bob_and_Sue Moore)
Enquiring about European Holidays
To find out more or to book call Carefree on 0845 130 7701 or 024 7642 2024.
ABTA and ATOL protected
to download the ATOL factsheet for holiday protection information and more...
ABTA protection find out more
on the benefits of booking with an ABTA member.
Please see our booking conditions for information on how financial protection applies to your booking.