Driving in Australia

To enquire call 024 7647 5340

Driving in Australia

A motorhome tour in Australia is a great way to experience the sheer scale of the country. The country is vast and you are likely to be spending a lot of time on the roads if you want to see all that it offers, so the advice below will help keep you (and the country’s wildlife) safe during your trip.

Driving licence

As a visitor, you may drive in Australia on a valid UK driving licence, as long as it covers the class of vehicle you have hired. You must carry your licence when driving, in addition to a valid passport. An international driving permit is not sufficient and must be accompanied by a separate valid driving licence. There is an on-the-spot fine for not having your licence with you.

Vehicle Insurance

On individual tailor made holidays, basic public liability coverage is included in your vehicle rental fee, but details may vary between rental companies. A typical arrangement is that you leave an AU$7,500 vehicle security deposit. This is debited from your credit card and held as your excess for damage to your vehicle or the property of a third party.

There are, however, two excess reduction options available, by paying a daily charge. With excess reduction option one, your bond and excess are reduced to AU$2,500. If paying by credit card, an imprint is taken. Excess reduction option two is the most comprehensive available. It enables you to benefit from a reduced vehicle security deposit of AU$220. You will not have to pay any excess for damage to your vehicle or the property of a third party if this damage is not from misuse of the vehicle under the ‘exclusions’ clause.

Driving in Australia

Speed and distance in Australia are measured in kilometres. Australians drive on the left-hand side of the road. Roads within and between the cities and major towns are generally reliable and in good condition, as are the main highways that join the state and territory capital cities. Road conditions can be difficult in remote areas and the large and less populated areas in the middle of Australia (the Outback). Not all roads are sealed and not all are passable in certain seasons or weather conditions. Your vehicle rental company make it very clear which roads are not permitted for their rental vehicles.

Speed limits

The maximum speed limit in cities and towns is 60km/h and 50km/h in some suburban areas. On country roads and highways, the maximum speed is usually 110km/h.

Mobile phones

AustraliaYou should not use a mobile phone while driving.

Drinking and driving

The legal blood alcohol limit is 80mg and drink driving laws are strictly enforced.


Distances are given in kilometres. Signs follow standard international symbols.

Seat belts

Seat belts must be worn at all times by drivers and passengers.


Diesel costs about AU$1.20 (about 65 pence) per litre. Many petrol stations are open 24 hours a day and credit cards are an accepted method of payment. If long stretches of particularly sparsely populated country lie ahead of you it is advisable to tank up when you have the opportunity, even if you still have half a tank or so of fuel.


Australia is the land of kangaroos, emus, wombats, feral camels, cattle and horses. Normally they just sit or stand by the road, but sometimes wander onto roadways. Kangaroos sometimes leap across roadways directly in front of vehicles. Emus may also run across a road. Off the main highways many roads run adjacent to farms that are unfenced, and stock on the road is common. Drive carefully when you spot these big animals and be ready to use your brakes. Be careful to avoid braking heavily and suddenly as animals such as kangaroos and emus may be flipped over the lowered bonnet of a heavily braking vehicle and through the windscreen. Swerving to avoid an animal can also lead to fatalities, so, as elsewhere, if the choice is between hitting the animal or potentially losing control of the vehicle, hit the animal.

Enquiring about Worldwide Holidays

Complete our Enquiry Form and a member of the Worldwide Team will contact you. Alternatively, call our Travel Specialists on 024 7647 5340.

You can also use our online ‘Book & Go’ motorhome hire system if you know exactly what type of motorhome you require.

The Club also provides Motorhome manoeuvring courses to give you confidence on the road.

ABTA and ATOL protected

ATOL                  ABTA

Click here to download the ATOL factsheet for holiday protection information and more...
ABTA Financial protection  to find out more on the benefits of booking with an ABTA member click here
Please see our booking conditions for information on how financial protection applies to your booking.