Once you have your camping kit, tent, caravan or motorhome there is nothing to stop you heading abroad for some continental camping!
The Club’s Travel Service are experts in holiday planning and can make it all surprisingly easy. Either book online or give our Travel Specialists a call on 024 7642 2024 for some help and advice on picking the right country and campsite for you.
Here we clarify the insurance situation when using electric bikes abroad.
In autumn 2014, some queries from Club members arose concerning electric bikes abroad, following reports in the English and Spanish media concerning the conclusion of the case against a woman named Conchi Moreno in the Murcia region. She was reportedly charged with having neither insurance for her machine nor the documents to prove it, fought the case for two years, finally lost and was reportedly fined EUR2,000 in November 2014.
Our advice to members is as follows
- We have looked into the subject of third party insurance for electric bikes in some depth, with reference to:
- Local authorities in Spain
- Guidance from the European Union
- A Spanish cycling organisation
- Our campsite partners during site visits.
- Laws concerning this subject may vary, not only from country to country but from region to region.
- Some sites have a particularly good and close relationship with the local police, and the police have not directed any special attention to the issue.
- No campsites have said they are aware of any requirement to have third party insurance for electrically-assisted pedal bikes. The EU definition for these machines is:
- Cycles with pedal assistance, which are equipped with
- An auxiliary electric motor, having
- A maximum continuous rated power of 0,25 kW, of which
- The power is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling.
- Machines as described above are generally regarded as being in the same category of vehicle as pedal bikes.
- More powerful machines, and those that can be powered without any pedalling, are generally considered to be mopeds, scooters, motorcycles, etc.
- Some members in Spain have found local insurers willing to offer third party insurance for a minimal cost (around EUR30.00 for a year), and some members on long stays have decided to take out such insurance for peace of mind.
- As always, the interpretation and application of the law on the ground are subject to local law enforcement officers and courts.
- We recommend that if in any doubt about the legal position in any particular area, members take advice from the campsite management. They will have a better awareness of the local situation and, as already mentioned, often have close links with the local police.
- Further to enquiries with site partners in Portugal, we are not aware of any problems around this issue in that country, and our advice for all countries within the EU would be the same as that given above for Spain.
Last updated: 26.06.2015
Peace of mind
When you use our network of campsites abroad you’ll not only benefit from the feedback other members have given about the site, but also have the support of your Club while you are away should you need it. Why risk going it alone when you can have added peace of mind for you and your family in knowing that we are here if you need us - book through your Club.
With more than 180 campsites covering 14 countries in Europe, including the ever-popular France and Spain, as well as Italy, Austria, Ireland, Portugal, and Slovenia to choose from. Wherever you want to camp in Europe, you can pick from a great selection of campsites that have been tried and tested by members so you’ll know exactly what you are getting.
The Club's European Travel Service offers discounted ferry crossings for savings of up to 10% off the direct price on routes to France, Ireland, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Denmark as well as to the Channel Islands and Orkney and Shetland.
Simply the best option for low-season camping abroad. You'll get a discount card and a guide book allowing you to camp in a range of countries throughout Europe for fixed prices. There is no up front payments once you have brought the guide so you are free to Pay-As-You-Go with CampingCard ACSI. There's no money tied up in advance or wasted as with other prepaid cheque systems.
Find out more about CampingCard ACSI
Our Travel Service offers members the chance to camp and tour across the globe. Take your own unit to Europe, or experience a fly-drive adventure further afield on a Worldwide Motorhoming Holiday. Enjoy a self-drive journey across South Africa, the USA, Canada, Australia, Argentina or New Zealand. either as part of a tour group alongside other Club members, or on a tailor-made trip catering for your own individual needs. Our Travel Specialists will arrange flights, motorhome hire, stopovers and hotel stays, along with everything else you may need for your holiday of a lifetime.
European Escorted Tours
If you enjoy exploring new sights then our Escorted Tours are a great way to safely visit a range of stunning European countries. You’ll have the freedom to roam and uncover new places while travelling in the comfort of your own unit through open roads and beautiful scenery. Visit France, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Iceland, Morocco and beyond, as you travel alongside other members with the help of our own Club Tour Escorts.
If you’ve not been on a Summer Rally before, then you don’t know what you’re missing! They are packed with social activates to keep everyone entertained. You will be camped alongside other Club members, with friendly stewards on-hand to provide help should you need any. Rallies are exclusive to members and are a great way to enjoy the continent and make new friends, particularly if it’s your first time abroad.Choose from our summer rallies in France, Spain, Portugal, Holland and the Channel Islands. We also run special School Holiday Rallies in the peak season - created just for families.
Winter Sun Rallies
If you're not looking forward to another wet winter in the UK, then how do you fancy spending your time in the warmer climates of Spain and Portugal instead? We run Winter Sun Rallies where you can enjoy relaxing and socialising with other Club members on site, with our friendly stewards on-hand to help you during your stay. Dip in and out of activities as you prefer - there's no pressure to join in, but lots of fun to be had if you do!
We want you to have the best holiday ever, so to make sure you don't get caught out while you're away, both personal travel and vehicle breakdown insurance are available to purchase through our Travel Service to look after you should anything unexpected happen. Call 024 7642 2024
Want to find out more?
You can find out more about driving in Europe in our European Drivers Handbook available to buy through your Club - click here
Continue to the next page to read about camping legally