Useful items to take with you when camping with your dog
One quarter of families with dogs now take their pet with them on holiday. There are numerous benefits of camping with your dog, but there are a few things to consider packing in your luggage to make sure that your dog has an enjoyable time and you all get the most out of the family trip.
Here is The Camping and Caravanning Club’s guide of what to take when camping with dogs:
- Essentials – make sure you pack all the essentials that you would need at home including food and water bowls, leads, plenty of dog food and treats, and his toys.
- Water – it is better to bring plenty of bottled water for your dog as if he drinks from rivers and streams he could pick up bugs and illnesses from the water.
- A Stake to tie the lead to – make sure you have something sturdy to tie your dog to at night and when you are cooking and eating to keep him safe. Don’t forget a hammer or mallet to drive the stake into the ground.
- Your dog’s bed – when taking your dog into new surroundings he will appreciate some familiar items from home, so it is a good idea to take his bed with you. If he has a fabric bed make sure you bring some plastic sheets to put underneath it so it doesn’t get wet on the ground.
- Scoops for cleaning up after your dog - make sure you bring plenty of bags and a scoop to clean up after your dog and be considerate of other campers.
- First aid kit – just as you would bring a first aid kit for the family make sure you have one for your dog. See our pre-travel health advice for camping with dogs for suggestions of what to include in it.
- Consider carefully how you will travel with your pets. Their safety and the safety of your passengers are paramount. An appropriately-sized travel cage is one way to transport your pet. If he’s not used to a cage there are a number of safety harnesses available that clip to seatbelt fixings.
The Camping and Caravanning Club have over 60 dog friendly campsites and caravan parks across the country, which will make you and your pets feel welcome when staying with us.