tech talk

Tech talk

tech talk header

The Technical Team at the Club holds a wealth of information and much of it is distilled in these pages.

If you’re looking for the right tyre for your motorhome or need to find a gas cylinder to use on the Continent, the chances are you will find the answer here.

Team members Ian Hewlett and Iain Geddes have both been active campers and caravanners since childhood. Now they regularly test cars and are involved in the Club’s annual Tow Car Awards. They also try out tents, trailer tents, caravans and motorhomes for the magazine’s On Test section and in their own time enjoy their own camping holidays.

Whether your question is about matching a tow car and caravan, how to use an electric hook-up or finding spares to repair your tent, you are likely to find the answer in these pages. But if not, you can ask the team by clicking below.

Submit a question »


  • Which insurance covers a trailer when it’s being towed?

    All the third party risks are passed to the towing vehicle when any trailer is coupled up to it. That is why it’s so important to check the car’s policy covers towing. When un-hitched, all risks revert back the trailer or caravan’s own policy. 

  • Do I need a driving licence to ride an electric bike?

    If you mean an ‘electrically-assisted pedal cycle’, which has strict constraints on its maximum speed and power then no, the rules are the same as for a self-powered bicycle. Read more »

  • Do I need winter tyres in mainland Europe?

    The answer varies from country to country and in some countries even by region. Winter tyres (marked with a snowflake motif) are preferred in colder areas but mud and snow tyres (marked M+S) are an acceptable alternative and the minimum tread depth varies too. Read more »



Tech Specials